Location: Lappeenranta, kokonaan verkossa / full digi
M.Sc. (Tech.) 1
|Teacher(s) in Charge
Professor, D.Sc. (Tech.) Antti Salminen
After having passed the course module the student is able:
- to compare laser materials processing processes and knows different processes special
- identify what are the theoretical basis affecting in different processes and how they affect
the possible applications based on them
- to know how to select and optimize proper process and processing procedure for different
- understanding how processing parameters affect the quality of the process / part
- to define what kind of lasers and laser systems can be applied in various processes and
applications and how they could be applied
- is able to develop processes for different applications
- is able to work as expert to develop laser based processes for industrial applications
Contents of this course includes e.g.:
- laser beam material interaction, transmission, reflection, absorption
- the features of different materials and laser beams affecting on phenomena
- the effect of laser based heating, melting, vaporization and ablation on material
- behavior of molten material and heat transfer mechanisms.
- formation of keyhole and phenomena connected
- knowledge on existing ways to process material with laser beam and the effect of laser
beam material interaction on that
- knowledge on most common laser processes like laser welding, laser hybrid welding,
cutting, marking, drilling, engraving, micro processing additive manufacturing and surface
treatment and the lasers and laser systems used for carrying them out
- practical cases, applications will be combined to theory
Lectures 28 h, guided team working 3x2 h. Design, execution and reporting of project work in teams 90 h. Laboratory work 6 h. Laboratory work consists of preparing, carrying out the experimental study and analysing the results of project work.Total workload 130 h.
The course is suitable for distance learning.
|Examination in Examination schedule (Yes/No)
|Examination in Moodle (Yes/No)
|Examination in Exam (Yes/No)
|Assessment scale and assessment methods
0-5, written project work report 80 %, oral seminar presentation 20 %. Learning diary.
Course material in Moodle.
Further reading e.g. Steen W., Laser Material Processing. Ion, J., Laser Processing of Engineering Materials.
BK30A0803 Digital Advanced Manufacturing with Lasers passed or equal level of understanding shown with oral exam.
|Places for exchange-students? (Yes, number/No)
|Places for Open University Students?(Yes, number/No)