Location: Lappeenranta, Lahti
The lectures and exercises are given in Lappeenranta, but there will be couple of intensive learning days arranged in Lahti if there is need for that. These dates will be informed after the start of the course. The course can be studied also as distance learning. The lectures will be recorded and available in Moodle.
M.Sc. (Tech.) 1 in MSc programme in Sustainability Science and Solutions
M.Sc. (Tech.) 2 in MSc programme in Circular Economy
|Teacher(s) in Charge
Professor, D.Sc. (Tech.) Mika Horttanainen
Upon completion of the course the student is expected to be able to
1. explain the most important generation mechanisms, properties, and collection and
treatment systems of solid waste,
2. explain the operation of essential process technology and equipment,
3. compare and give grounded proposals for treatment methods and processes applicable to
4. calculate process parameters related to composting, digestion and energy utilization,
5. apply waste management legislation,
6. apply what he/she has learned to the environmental treatment and utilization of waste, and
7. describe the operation of regional waste management.
Generation of solid waste and waste management in different parts of the world, properties of
waste, legislation concerning waste management, source separation, collection and transport,
pretreatment, composting, anaerobic digestion, waste-to-energy, landfilling, regional waste
management, treatment of polluted soil.
1st period: 14 h of lectures, 10 h of tutorials. 2nd period: 12 h of lectures, 8 h of tutorials.
Assignment with literature and calculation part, presentation, individual work approx. 82 h.
Field trip approx. 12 h. Lecture assignments approx. 10 h. Examination and preparation for it
approx. 30 h. Total workload 182 h.
|Examination in Examination schedule (Yes/No)
|Examination in Moodle (Yes/No)
|Examination in Exam (Yes/No)
|Assessment scale and assessment methods
0 - 5. Examination 50 %, assignment 40 %, lecture assignments 10 %.
Tchobanoglous, Theisen, Vigil: Integrated Solid Waste Management, 1993.
Handouts provided by the lecturer, course environment in Moodle. Recorded lectures in Moodle.
Exercises in Moodle.
BH60A0001 Ympäristötekniikan perusteet, BH60A0901 Ympäristömittaukset or equivalent
|Places for exchange-students? (Yes, number/No)
|Places for Open University Students?(Yes, number/No)