The course will be lectured every other year, next during the academic year 2020-2021.
The course is an intensive course taught by an international visiting professor. The course is only for Master’s level students. The number of students attending the course may have to be limited if the number of students exceeds 40. In registration, priority is given to LUT School of Business and Management, MIMM Programme students.
|Lectured every other academic year (Yes, next realization year/Leave empty)
M.Sc. (Econ. & Bus. Adm.) 1
4. period intensive near the end of the period (possibly in April 2021)
|Teacher(s) in Charge
Professor, D.Sc. (Econ. & Bus. Adm.) Olli Kuivalainen
Visiting Professor, Ph.D. Peter Spier, Skema Business School
After completing the course the students should be able to:
- analytically evaluate how sales and other types of business negotiations work
- distinguish, compare and organize various types of sales and negotiation situations
- critically evaluate the main sales techniques: transactional, relationship selling, solution selling
- evaluate and develop sales and negotiation-related core competencies
- convince and negotiate effectively
- appraise the importance of ‘people’ skills: empathy, trust, active listening.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction to sales and negotiation. It will cover a range of topics:
- Structure of sales negotiation
- Individual negotiation styles
- Different types of sales and negotiation situation
- The mutual gains approach in negotiation
- The main sales techniques: transactional, relationship selling, solution selling, challenger sales
- Move from an approach based on ‘convincing’ to one based on ‘persuasion’
- The scope of our approach to include: ‘other’ (interests, culture…), situation…
- Communication, both verbal and non-verbal
- The use of enquiry & questioning
- The use of framing techniques and other ‘nudge’ approaches
- Conflict management
- Interact with others
The course will balance theory and practical application, with considerable use of case studies and student project work. 28 h of interactive lectures and cases, 4rd period (intensive format). 52 h of preparation for lectures and assignments and individual research report. Total workload 80 h.
|Examination in Examination schedule (Yes/No)
|Examination in Moodle (Yes/No)
|Examination in Exam (Yes/No)
|Assessment scale and assessment methods
Final grade 0-5. Evaluation 0-100 points: Individual research report (100 points) Active class participation, including in-class assignments (accepted – fail) All assignments must be passed.
Readings and assignments to be announced before / in the class
Bachelor’s degree, A330A0300 Strategic Global Marketing Management or equivalent basic marketing course.
|Limitation for students? (Yes, number, priorities/Leave empty)
40, priority is given to LUT School of Business and Management, MIMM Programme students.
|Places for exchange-students? (Yes, number/No)